Site Editor FAQ
Q. Can you explain each of the Site Editor's buttons, their functions, etc?
A. Click here to see a list of buttons and what they do.
Q. How do I copy and paste text?
A. Select the text you wish to copy, right-click on the selected text and choose 'Copy'. Place the cursor where you want the text to go in Site Editor, right-click and choose 'Paste'.
When copying text from other applications we recommend stripping all formatting. To do this, first copy and paste the text into Notepad and then copy and paste again from Notepad to Site Editor.
Q. How do I add a new page?
A. Click on the 'New Page' button. This opens a pop-up window with the following fields (note, all fields can be modified later through 'Page Properties').
- Page Title - Enter a title for your page here. This can be changed later through 'Page Properties'.
- Page Password (optional) - Enter a password here only if you want the new page to be password protected. For example, a member's page that requires a password to view. This can be changed later through 'Page Properties'.
- Navigation Position - Leave this set to 'None' unless you want the new page to appear in the main navigation menu. To make it appear in the main navigation menu, you will need to specify the position amongst existing navigation links AND provide an image for the navigation icon. It's best to contact us if you require this.
- Navigation Image - If you select a Navigation Position other than 'None', you will need to browse for an image (gif or jpg) to go into the main navigation menu. It's best to contact us if you require this.
Click 'OK' when done and a new blank page will appear with the global look-and-feel (including header, footer and navigation). Note, the new page will not be fully created untill it is saved using the 'Save Page' button.
Q. How do I insert an image?
A. Click on the 'Insert Page' button. This opens a pop-up window that allows you to either:
- Select an existing image on the server, preview and insert it; or
- Browse your hard drive and upload a new image (gif or jpg) to be inserted.
Working with images can be complex and we highly recommend letting us do most of such tasks. It will save you time, while achieving greater quality and higher download speed using such techniques as web optimisation (in Adobe Photoshop). If you're keen to have a go yourself here are some tips:
- Before inserting an image into your website make sure it is saved on your hard drive in the correct format (gif or jpg), correct width and height (eg. 150 pixels x 100 pixels) and is no larger in size than 100KB. To work with images outside of Site Editor, you will need an image editing program. We recommend Adobe Photoshop.
- When inserting an image in Site Editor, select a suitable Image Border Colour. Preferably use one of the colours in the design of the header or logo and keep it consistent with all images inserted.
- If you want the text on the page to wrap around the image, while at the same time aligning the image to either left or right of the page, use 'Align & Wrap Text'. Select 'Left' to align the image to the left of the page or 'Right' to align it to the right.
Images are the most important part of your site. A poorly created image can make a great website lose it's professional look. Please take extra care when inserting images into your site. Remember, we are always here to help.
Q. How do I create a link?
A. Select the text or image that you want to turn into a link (move your mouse from left to right across the text or image while holding the left mouse button). Click on the 'Hyperlink' button. This opens a pop-up window with the following options:
- Enter URL - If you wish to link to another Web page on another site, enter the complete URL here, in the following format: 'http://www.somesite.com/somepage.html'. Please make sure to include the 'http://'.
You are also provided with an option to open the link in a new window. If you tick the 'Open in a new window' box, a new browser window will open when visitors click on this link and the linked page will be loaded into this new window.
- OR select page - Select an existing page on your site to link to.
- OR upload file - You can link to a pdf or doc file by browsing your hard drive and uploading a file to link to. Note, the file cannot be larger in size than 100KB. This size limit is set to prevent visitors getting frustrated trying to download very large files.
After you have created a link you can change it by selecting the linked text and clicking on the 'Hyperlink' button again.
Q. How do I create an anchor?
A. Coming soon.
Q. How do I use tables?
A. Coming soon.